The Murrurundi & District Historical Society's Museum aims to collate the local history of the historic towns of Murrurundi (founded 1840) and Haydonton (founded 1842) and display items and photographs of relevant materials. Opening hours are 1pm to 3pm Wednesdays, 9am to 12pm Saturdays and 9am to 1pm every last Sunday in the month. Special openings by appointment.
02 6546 6843 during opening hours o2 6546 6536 out of opening hours
Literary Institute, Mayne Street Murrurundi NSW 2338
The local museum, situated in the Literary Institute (still emblazoned on the facade) which was built in 1913. It is a symmetrical building consisting of two almost identical structures with steeply-pitched roofs linked by a central hallway.
The town's first police station was erected on this site when the township was first laid out in 1840 and the School of Arts and Mechanics Institute were built here in 1883 but almost entirely demolished in the 1960s.
Out the front are some stocks, a reminders of that part of the building's history and of past systems of punishment. There is also an antiquated iron-wheeled tractor.
The museum contains artefacts of early settlement and local industry, and a collection of historical photographs. The Fishburn Room contains a 1:60 scale model of the HMS Endeavour, built by a member of the Fishburn family who are descended from mariner Andrew Fishburn, a member of the First Fleet. A plaque on the rock outside is in honour of his descendant, Murrurundi-born Peter Norvill who, in 1988, became the first Australian-born pilot to fly solo around the world solo in a fixed-wing aircraft.
Children's Play Area & Picnic Area Wilson Memorial Oval - Murrurundi Click HERE for expanded view
Paradise Park - 360 Panoramic View Paradise Lane - Murrurundi NSW Click HERE for expanded view