1. Literary Institute Mayne Street
This is the site of the original Police Station in 1840, School of Arts and Mechanics Institute in 1883. Now hosting artillery gun which were captured by Australian Forces in World War 1, one of which has Arabic markings and was possibly used by Turkish forces. It is also the home of war relics that were distributed to civic centres by the Federal Government.
2. Suspension (Swinging) Bridge Murulla Street
This bridge over the Page River was built before World War 1 and is the third bridge on the site. One of the former bridges was wide enough to transport the Chief Magistrate's buggy from the Royal Hotel to the Court House in the time of flood.
3. RSL Memorial Hall Mayne Street
The shingle Victorian Italianate Hall was built around 1897. originally the MUIOOF hall it became the RSL Memorial Hall following World War 2.
4. Rosedale (National Trust) Little Street
This brick and timber house was built between 1848 and 1852 and was extended in the 1890’s. it took two years from 1985 to restore it to its former glory and is now used as a private residence.
5. Bridge House (National Trust) Mayne Street
Built in 1865 from local bricks with a shingle roof, this building has much in common with Elizabeth Farm Cottage. The sandstone is from the local quarry and the roof is now concealed with iron.
6. Dooley’s Store (National Trust) Mayne Street
Business has been conducted here since 1872. the present store was built by John Henry under architectural supervision in 1905 for Joseph Dooley.
7. White Hart Hotel (National Trust) Mayne Street
Originally built of wood as an inn in 1842, the White Hart Hotel was renovated in 1857 with the original dining room still in use. The current left side was rebuilt between 1901 and 1906 and the second storey was added in 1936.
8. Murrurundi House Polding Street
Was built in 1880 as the convent for the Sisters of Mercy, the school and convent was closed in 1970. This building is now privately owned.
9. Shire Council Chambers Mayne Street
Built in 1906 as Warrah Shire Council Chambers with renovations being carried out between 1954 and 1968.
10. Haydonton Inn Mayne Street
Built from local bricks in 1850, the building was licensed to J.G.McKay until the mid 1860’s. Later it was renamed the Carrier Arms.
11. Skin and Wool Store Mayne Street
Currently being used as a private workshop, this building was constructed from handmade thumbprint bricks around 1856. It was used as a skin and wool store of many years.
12. Masonic Hall Victoria Street
Built in 1911 for £400 and became the Lodge of Hope in 1966. Members still travel from over the state for meetings. This is now a private residence.
13. Railway Station Haydon Street
The railway station building was completed in 1872 while the station master’s residence was not completed until the late 1890’s. The station was the terminus of the main northern line prior to construction of the Ardglen tunnel.
14. St Joseph’s Church Polding and O’Connell Streets
St. Joseph’s Church cemetery and Presbytery was built in 1901 and is still currently in use. St. Joseph’s Catholic Church was built in 1860 and consecrated by Bishop Polding after whom the street was named. The altar was constructed from more than 1000 pieces of marble and has been recorded by the National Trust. The cemetery has graves of pioneers including Peter and Thomas Haydon and Ben Hall’s mother Eliza (Elizabeth Hall).
15. Railway Hotel Adelaide Street
Originally built of brick in 1880, the Railway Hotel was rebuilt in the 1920’s after it was damaged by fire.
16. Hall Family Home Site Adelaide Street
A slab cottage was built on this site around 1842 by Ben Hall senior and bushranger Ben Hall. Ben Hall the bushranger lived with his parents until he left in about 1850.
17. Post Office Mayne Street
This essential facility was moved from the Telegraph Office in 1913 when the present Post Office was built.
18. Heritage Cottage Mayne Street
The cottage was donated to the community by the Musgrove family and moved by the local council and re-erected by the community in 1996.
19. CBC Bank Premises Mayne Street
Built in 1865 as the Joint Stock Bank, it was taken over by the CBC in 1870 and operated until 1938. it is now a private residence.
20. Royal Hotel and Cobb & Co Stables Mayne Street
The stables were built in 1860 from local sandstone and shingles which are now covered with iron. The Royal Hotel was built in 1863 and was used as a Cobb & Co. changing depot until 1867.
21. Telegraph Office (Telegraph Café) Mayne Street
Built as the Telegraph Office in 1861, it amalgamated with the Post Office in 1870. It closed in 1913 when the new Post Office was built.
22. Court House, Police Station and Jail Murulla Street
In Murulla Street is the law and order complex. There are three buildings. The one closest to the road is the brick courthouse with two small wings, incorporating the Police Station. Next to this is the gaol and lock-up keepers residence which consists of a two storey brick block flanked by two single storey sandstone wings. The ground level verandah is a later addition. Both were designed by Alexander Dawson and built in 1860-61 on the site of the original 1842 courthouse. The sergeants residence at the southern end of the complex was built in the 1890’s.
23. Murrurundi Public School Mayne Street
The front right section was designed by Horbury Hunt in 1877. The trees in the school grounds are of considerable botanic importance and are registered with the Botanic Gardens in Sydney. The residence named the Pink House, is made of local bricks as a national school in 1854. No longer is it named Pink, it is now a private residence by the name of ‘Elouera.’
24. Rosebank Liverpool Street
Built in 1889 on land originally purchased by Ben Hall senior from Thomas Haydon who founded the town of Haydonton. It was used as the Joint Stock before it went broke in 1892.
25. St Paul’s Anglican Church Mount Street
Designed by Horbury Hunt and commissioned by the White Family, the church was built of local sandstone in 1872-74. The tiles on the wall behind the sanctuary are from England, in memory of Reverend WDR Lewis who is buried on the right of the altar. The windows are grouped in two’s and three’s between buttresses. The square bell tower was completed as a memorial to Frederick White of Harben Vale. The single storey vicarage at 3 Mount Street was built of local bricks in 1858.
26. Horse and Dog Water Troughs Mount Street
This Bills Trust Structure was built in memory of the drover and his dogs. The site is also the location of a well used prior to the provision of a town water supply.
Murrurundi is a small rural town of about 1000 people. It is from the Wanaruah place name “Murrumdoorandi” that the towns name derives. Despite understandable local publicity which claims that it means ‘nestled in the valley’ it seems more likely that it refers to five unusual rock formations near Temple Court (four now remain) and may mean ‘five fingers’ or ‘meeting place at the five fingers.’
When the government laid out the township if Murrurundi in 1840 Thomas Haydon decided to create the adjacent private village of Haydonton which serviced the local estates, government officers and travelers. In time the name Haydonton fell into disuse. The two separated by Hall’s Creek were amalgamated in 1913 with old Haydonton forming the towns commercial district.
Other Places of Interest
This delightful picnic area in semi-tropical surroundings is located at the end of Paradise Road, past the Golf Course. For the fit take a pleasant stroll through the ‘Eye of the Needle’ rock formation. Delightful views of the township and surrounding valley may be seen from the rocky outcrop halfway along this 30 minute walk.
Bobidill House Mayne and Boyd Streets
Built of local sandstone for H. Dangar in 1843, Bobidill was originally the White Swan before being known as the Wool Packer Inn.. The stables were lost in a fire which destroyed the roof burying a sulky and equipment.
Shale Works and Manager Residence Doughboy Street
There are relics of the original shale works and also the Managers residence built in 1912. The building boasts unusually large attic windows for its time.
Ethelstone Haydon Street
Alexander Brodie built this residence for his daughter and later sold it to Judges Mayniott and Temple.
Grave of Constable W. Shields Over the Pages River Crossing and Turn Right and it is placed on the left.
This is the grave of the Chief Constable of Scone and Murrurundi and stationed at Murrurundi. Constable Shields took ill and died after chasing cattle duffers. He is buried on the lot where his residence once stood.